Ambassadors of Peace: Prerequisite in achieving sustainable peaceful co-existence and national development.
i) Understanding the word peace and ambassadors of peace
ii) Understanding the ten (10) essential qualities to become an effective ambassador of peace.
It is has been established that a nation without peace is on a voyage to destruction.
WHAT IS PEACE?
According to the Cambridge English Dictionary, defined Peace as freedom from war and violence, especially when people live and work together happily without hatred.
It is a stress-free state of security and calmness that comes when there’s no fighting or war among people of different beliefs.
Now, having gotten the meaning of peace as a major tools that fostered violence-free state, the question is;
WHO IS AN AMBASSADOR OF PEACE?
An ambassador of peace is a representative, mediator and a peace-maker.
They sees peace as a necessity to human existence, socio-economic and political development thus do everything possible within their capacity in their locality to represent and preach peace.
Their unthoughtful policies has resulted in massive unemployment, Insecurity, hunger, poverty, divisions, hatred etc.
This has in turn led to the rise of lack of peaceful coexistence, underdevelopment, communal, ethnic and religious conflicts.
It is crystal clear that accusations and allegations of neglect, oppression and domination by one ethnic group are also the major causes that fuel this misunderstanding and lack of peace in Nigeria.
It is important to note that the general outcome of this, is the intensification of numerous struggles and unrest facing Nigeria today.
It therefore means that the Nation’s peace, progress and stability is under constant threat.
Since poverty, discrimination, sentiment and unemployment have acted as the mainstay for various conflicts in the country, the question of who will mediate and build peace has been a major concern.
To stand and work for peace is a very important aspect of our lives and it is essential to all our well-being as a nation irrespective of our religious, political and social differences. It is a symbol of a progressive nation.
The roadmap to economic and political prosperity of any nation is anchored on the numbers of those who are ready to build and mediate for peace.
And there are two urgent reasons why building, mediating and representing peace should be on a central priority.
Firstly, peace is the means by which a Nation can transform from the status of underdeveloped to that of developed.
Secondly, without peace it becomes impossible for us to live in a safe space we can call our homes.
Peace-mediators play a very important role in building a modern democratic society.
There is no country in the world that develop in absence of peaceful atmosphere.
This therefore mean that development and security of a nation depends on patriotic citizens who are ready to stand, volunteer and represent peace.
Representing Peace is an enabler of development, security, social and economic justice.
WHAT ARE THE 10 ESSENTIAL QUALITIES TO BECOME AN EFFECTIVE AMBASSADOR FOR PEACE?
1) Readiness. To become an effective ambassador of peace you must be alert for chances to represent God who is the creator of peace and will not walk back from the challenges or opportunities to stand for peace in your country.
2) Patient. An ambassador of peace won’t quarrel, but will listen in order to understand, then with gentleness seek to respectfully engage those who disagree on religion, tribal and political difference.
3) Reasonable. An ambassador of peace has an informed convictions i.e not just feelings but gives reasons and asks questions then aggressively seeks answers.
4) Tactical. An ambassador of peace adapts to each unique person and situation, maneuvering with wisdom to challenge bad thinking. He present the truth in an understandable and compelling way.
5) Carefulness. An ambassador of peace is careful with language that can cause hatred, divisions and will not rely on political and religious lingo nor gain.
6) Fairness. An ambassador of peace is always sympathetic and understanding toward others and will acknowledge the merits of contrary views.
7) Honest. An ambassador of peace is careful with the facts and will not misrepresent another’s view, overstate his own case, or understate the demands for other doctrines.
8) Humble. An ambassador of peace is always humble in his/her views. He is provisional in his/her claims, knowing that his understanding of truth is fallible. He will not press a point beyond what his evidence allows.
9) Attractive. An ambassador of peace will act with grace, kindness, and good manners. He will not dishonor God and humanity in his conduct.
10) Dependent. An ambassador of peace knows that effectiveness in creating peace requires joining his best efforts with other regions, religions and tribe to build peaceful atmosphere.
However, it is not enough for ambassadors of peace to have an accurately informed mind. Our knowledge must be tempered with the kind of wisdom that makes our message clear and persuasive.
Finally, Nigeria occupies a geostrategic position of importance in Africa, creating and maintaining peace among people of ethnic-cultural believes as a nation will help create conducive conditions for economic and social prosperity and the well being of majority of people living in the country.
Therefore, the need to represent and stand for peace is inevitable.
It is everybody’s responsibility to be an ambassador of peace, religious leaders and followers, businessmen and women, politicians, farmers and other stakeholders must not display capricious attitude in creating, mediating, and representing peace anytime and anywhere.